Wednesday, July 2, 2008

It hurt, but I still ran

I haven't run in over a week. My calf still hurt. And my triathlon's quickly approaching.

Doesn't sound good to me. In fact, it's a bit concerning.

But this morning when I woke up? My calf didn't hurt too badly. I thought I'd try to sneak a run in. Since it was supposed to be hot, humid and stormy today, I packed my gym bag and lugged it with me to work. I figured I would try to get in a 2 or 3 mile run on the treadmill. Besides, that way if I started running and it hurt too much? I'd only have to walk downstairs to the locker room and then to my car rather than having to walk more than a mile home with a gimpy leg.

Maybe it was because I was sitting at my desk most of the day, but once I got up to leave? My leg hurt. And then I started to worry. And I seriously considered skipping the run and going home. But I didn't. I went to YMCA, laced up my sneaker and hit the treadmill.

And I ran. It didn't hurt too badly either once I finally started running. I was even able to incorporate a little bit of speed work into the run. I ended up logging 3 miles in about 32 minutes. I admit, I didn't run straight through, there were a few times, OK maybe 5 or 6, where I did that whole put your feet on the sides and just watch the treadmill belt keep turning thing. But that was usually after I upped the speed for a bit.

The run itself wasn't bad. If my leg didn't hurt, I don't think I would have had as many breaks.

In the back of my mind I might have been hoping the run would make my leg stop hurting all together. But it didn't. It still hurts. So I guess it's some more Tylenol and ice tonight. And hopefully someday the pain will go away.

I'm just happy. I logged a run. And I didn't die. Let's hope I can keep it up for another two weeks.

1 comment:

teacherwoman said...

I hope the leg gets better. So frustrating.