Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Anybody know a good cleaning service?

I'm not a slob. Really. I'm not.

But I'm not a super clean freak either. I don't mind if my junk mail piles up on the counter for a week or so before I get around to throwing it away or shredding it. And as long as the dirty dishes are hidden in the dishwasher, I don't care if they don't get washed for a week. And once a week is plenty when it comes to pulling out the vacuum cleaner.

I like to think of it as a "lived in" looking style. I don't think I could handle living in my apartment if it was so clean it sparkled and looked as though no one lived there.

That being said, my apartment? It's in need of a good cleaning. And I'm dreading it.

Actually, there's only one part left that needs a good scrub down. Over the past few days I've managed to tidy up the rest of my apartment. It's just the one area left that I keep avoiding.

The bathroom.

I shudder when I think about it. I hate cleaning the bathroom. Despise it. Loath it. You get my point.

Normally I can keep it in semi-clean shape by pulling out the broom to sweep up the hair and giving the counter a quick wipe down. But this time? This time it looks like a war zone. And it's totally not all my fault.

Well, maybe it is. But I blame it partly on being sick for three weeks when the cleaning time came. And once I felt better? Well, then the shower drain was clogged (again) due to the whole long hair thing. And my landlord took his sweet time coming over to unclog it. And while I could have partially cleaned my bathroom while waiting for the shower to get unclogged, I figured why have a half clean bathroom?

So I kept putting it off.

Then the shower finally got unclogged but then I went on the spree of 11 straight days of work. And who wants to clean after working for 11 straight days? Not me.

So it's still dirty. And I'm still avoiding it. My excuse now? I mind as well wait until I get a new shower liner, which became kind of nasty during the whole clogged shower thing, because why have a sparkly clean shower if the liner is dirtier than a pig after it rolled around in a mud bath?

Hopefully it'll get done tomorrow. Because I really don't want to deal with coming back from a week of vacation to a grimy bathroom. Besides, I'm running out of excuses about why it's still not clean, I don't have anyone else to blame and the dirtiness is starting to bug me just a tiny bit

4 comments:

teacherwoman said...

If I am going to clean... when I decided to do it... it's a full out war. I do it all. once I am done, it looks nice and clean and tidy for about 3 weeks because I can't bare leaving dishes in the sink, or shoes all over the place. I should probably clean tomorrow so when I return from Minneapolis on Sunday I will come home to a clean place. That's always a good feeling!

I struggle with the hair clogging as well... YUCK.

Badgergirl said...

I'm like you, when I clean I usually like to do it all at once so that I don't have to deal with again for a few weeks. But I've been crazy busy lately and haven't had enough time to tackle it all at once, so I've had to go the bits and pieces route. I think that's part of my problem as well. I'd rather get it all done at once, but don't have enough minutes. And trying to find motivation to clean multiple days in a row? Really hard.

Anonymous said...

How about getting one of those plastic suction cup hair catcher drain cover thingies that cost about two bucks? Mine definitely keeps a lot of hair from going down the drain.

Badgergirl said...

I have one of those hair catcher things. It doesn't really seem to work for me, mostly because the darn thing doesn't stay suctioned to the shower. The drain only gets clogged about twice a year, so I deal with it and call the landlord when it happens. That's why I pay rent. For other people to fix things for me. :)