Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A post-Bambi meal review

So Bambi.

Last night I ate one of those cute, fuzzy-tailed deer for dinner. For the first time in my life. I admit, I was a bit nervous. I mean I don't think of eating a adorable baby pig when I eat ham or some scary looking cow when I eat beef (it's the eyes on a cow that freak me out). Or a large strutting turkey. And fish? Well I don't eat fish so I don't have images of Nemo floating through my head at the dinner table.

But for some reason, eating Bambi worried me.

I got to The Coach's house last night and it smelled wonderful. Dinner had been simmering in the crock pot all day. The meat. Potatoes. As soon as I got there, The Coach put some corn on the stove, got out some bread and within a handful of minutes, we were ready to eat.

And he reminded me again that I was about to eat Bambi.

I just kind of smiled.

He put two small pieces of meat, some potatoes and corn on my plate. I waited for him to sit down and then he looked at me, waiting for my reaction after I took my first bite.

And it wasn't too bad.

I was surprised. I was expecting some kind of funky, spicy, jerky taste to fill my mouth when I ate the meat. But that didn't happen. It tasted like roast beef from Arby's. Yes, there was a bit of a different flavor, but overall it wasn't bad. Maybe it was the onions, potatoes and broth that it had been simmering with all day, because my mom said she's heard if you prepare it the right way it doesn't taste like Bambi. Maybe she's right. But I do know I liked it.

It doesn't matter though. I didn't hate it. It was actually good. And if The Coach offered to make it again, I'd eat it.

Now, I'm not saying I'm going to like Bambi every possible way it could be prepared. But the pot roast last night? This picky eater liked it. And of course the Oreo cookies for dessert? Those were pretty tasty too.

No comments: