Monday, January 28, 2008

I stepped back on the treadmill tonight

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but still. That run tonight on the treadmill to nowhere? It wasn't easy.

While I have run a handful of times this month, it's still been since Nov. 1 when I did any running of note. The two runs I snuck in at the beginning of the month weren't so impressive. Remember I almost died after a mile the first outing and the second one was only marginally better.

And it's been three weeks since I stepped foot on the treadmill. So I basically consider myself starting over.

But remember how I was thinking the past few days and it gave me ideas? Well, those ideas called for me to get my butt back to the YMCA and step foot on the treadmill. And tonight, for run number 1? I was supposed to log 2 miles.

Doesn't sound like a lot, but it was kind of hard. I managed the first mile OK. But then I stopped for a brief walk, about a quarter mile. I was hoping to finish off my run by running the entire last mile straight through and winding up my time on the treadmill with a brief uphill walk.

Yeah, that didn't happen.

After my first brief walk break, I snuck in another half mile before having to walk for a couple of minutes again. And then I finished my last half mile for the grand total of 2 miles. In all, it talk me 30 minutes. Not pretty. But still, I finished and didn't die.

And I think that's what I have to remember. It's been a long time since I logged decent miles on a consistent basis. And I was pretty sick. So I know it's going to take me some time to build my strength and endurance back up. I just wish it would come a bit faster. Because tonight, although it felt good to run, it was a little discouraging that it was as difficult as it was.

Baby steps, Badgergirl. Baby steps.

Hopefully run number two later this week goes better. I'm crossing my fingers it does. Because I really want to do that run through Lambeau Field in May. That would be cool. And make all of this worth it.

No comments: