Sunday, July 15, 2007

I dodged a kid on a bike around Mile 1, but no bikers (or runners) were hurt during this run

This whole half-marathon, 13.1 mile jaunt is starting to get a little less scary.

This morning I logged a 6-mile run, my longest run so far. At this point, I'm halfway to a half marathon. And the miles just keep getting higher from here on out.

To be honest, I was a bit freaked out by 6 miles. I mean, that's two back to back 5Ks. Or a few months ago, that was a good chunk of what I ran during the entire week.

But today, I put one foot in front of the other and I did it. I finished my 6-mile run in 1 hour, 10 minutes. Just about what I thought I would.

I have to admit, I let myself take two 40-second walk breaks, once just after 3 miles (mostly because there didn't seem to be any shade on the route I was running) and the other was just after the 5-mile marker. I probably didn't need the two short walk breaks, but I took them anyway. If only to wipe the sunscreen/sweat mixture out of my eyes - Coppertone Sport your advertising campaign lies, the sunscreen does isn't so ultra sweat proof, because it does run into my eyes and stings.

Like I said, the run wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. I actually felt like I could go a little bit farther. But after 6 miles, I was dying of thirst. So I quit running and sucked down the entire contents of the water bottle that was waiting for me in the car. I've determined I need to find some method of bringing water with me on these longer runs. I've seen people wearing the fuel belts, but those look a bit bulky for my tastes. But I saw this guy today who had this water bottle strappy thing that he had in his hand, so he could run while carrying his bottle and not lose his grip on it. I think that's what I'm in the market for.

Now it's off to create a new play list for my MP3 player, because the one I currently am using, it's not long enough for the long runs. And I don't recommend fumbling with the MP3 player controls while running, especially on a trail full of bikers, walkers, runners and dogs.

But 6-miles, not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

No comments: