Saturday, June 1, 2013

May Reading Recap

Not only can I not believe it’s already June 1, but I seriously can’t believe how much I’ve been reading. Part of me feels as though I need to find another hobby in order to spend some time away from books. But then, books. I like getting lost in them.

Oh well. With the nicer weather, I might see the reading drop a bit. But in May? That didn’t happen.

I ended up reading seven books in May for a total of 1,919 pages. That brings the yearly total to 33 books. Yes. You read that right. Thirty-three books. And 10,830 pages. Needless to say, I’m well on my way to hitting my 52 book goal. And for giggles, compare those numbers to last year when I had finished 17 books and 5,605 pages. Whoa. That’s a bit of a difference.

So what’d I read this month? Take a look:

Providence by Jamie McGuire
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
The Choice by Nicholas Sparks
Between the Lines by Tammara Webber
Heartbeat by Faith Sullivan
Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

And now for the brief reviews, complete with number of stars given out on GoodReads. Follow me here if you’d like a more timely update on what I’m reading, what I think and what’s been added to my to-read list.

Providence by Jamie McGuire  ****
I had requested this at the library so long ago, that I had forgotten what it was about.  It’s about a girl, Nina, who’s father dies and she learns that he’d been keeping some secrets from her. Nina meets Jared, they click and he turns out to be her guardian angel, charged with keeping her safe. It actually was a pretty decent read and at times was hard to put down.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald  ****
Oh Gatsby. I hadn’t read this since high school and honestly, at the time I don’t think I appreciated it much. But with the release of the movie, I knew I had to pick it up again before I saw the flick. I liked it much better this time. Oh, and I still haven’t seen the movie.

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry  *****
Echo, who goes from popular girl to outsider with the scars, and Noah, the bad-boy and their messed up pasts. Not sure what it was about this book, but it was a good plot and I kind of loved the characters.

The Choice by Nicholas Sparks  ****
Whenever I’m ready for a quick, mindless read, I tend to go for Nicholas Sparks. And his stories usually don’t disappoint. Not a bad read. Even if you can totally tell where the story is going.

Between the Lines by Tammara Webber  ***
Teenage actors and actresses on the set of a movie. There’s a love triangle. Eh. It was OK. At times a bit slow.

Heartbeat by Faith Sullivan  ***
A Kindle freebie. I wasn’t expecting much. 

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn  *****
Guys. I really, really like this author. There’s something about her writing style. Her stories just pull me in and I seriously have a hard time putting the book down. This was no different. A reporter gets sent to her hometown to cover the murder of two little girls. While there, you learn about her somewhat messed up back story. The ending? Creepy. But wow. So good. Quite possibly my favorite book by Gillian Flynn.

Not exactly sure what’s next for June. I’ve been working my way through Pride and Prejudice, which is not a fast read at all, even though it’s fairly short. After that? Who knows. What have you been reading? Any suggestions?

No comments: