Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Back in the game. Really.

Last week I was feeling good. I had taken my mini break to get my head back into training mode after the not so impressive training cycle for Seroogy's 15K. I had three good runs during the week and was ready to knock out 9 or 10 miles on Saturday.

My body had other plans for me.

I was at work Friday and by late morning I was feeling like poo. A stuffy nose. But a stuff nose that wouldn't stop running. A headache. Sneezing. Oh the sneezing. And tired. So, so tired. I finished what I needed to do and headed home.

Had a low key dinner with my parents and went to bed, intending to still run on Saturday. But since I was running solo, I didn't have any set time that I needed to run. Obviously the earlier the better, but I wasn't tied to a particular time. I didn't set an alarm and went to bed. And more than 11 hours later I woke up. Still feeling like poo, actually feeling worse.

The run wasn't going to happen. Instead I caught up on episodes of Glee and Alaska State Troopers. It was another early night with plans to head over to the YMCA in the morning to do a combination of running circles around the indoor track and the treadmill in order to get my run in. But of course I needed to be done early since the Badgers were playing Ohio State.

Once again, I woke up almost 11 hours later on Sunday morning feeling like like death. Run wasn't happening. I took it easy again and told myself I could get the miles in on Monday since I would be getting out of work early. Once again, it didn't happen. Felt a little better Monday, but still not the greatest, so instead of running after work it was home, sweatpants and TV. Tuesday I felt better but thought I'd give myself one more day of rest before running. So it was more sweatpants and TV.

And today? Today I felt good. As in, I was anxious to run. My spring half marathons are getting closer and I knew I needed to get back into training mode. So even though there was a little part of me that just wanted to skip my run, I headed to the YMCA treadmill after work.

I wasn't sure how far I'd go. Or how the run would feel. So I started easy. And it felt good. And 4.2 miles later I was done. Happy to be feeling better. Happy to be back running. And ready to tackle the rest of my training plan.

66 days until the Capital City Half Marathon in Columbus, Ohio and 81 days until the Cellcom Green Bay Half Marathon. And an even 100 days until Ragnar Chicago. Let's get it done.

1 comment:

Run with Jess said...

OMG, 100 days until Ragnar! That's gonna come fast! Hope you are feeling better sooN!