Thursday, July 29, 2010

Three Things Thursday: AirVenture edition

1. It's been a busy week writing about airplanes for me. I got the chance to write about the B-17 Flying Fortress the other day. And as part of my reporting duties found myself crawling through one of the World War II bombers. Let's just it was a tight squeeze, so I can only imagine what it was like for the crews that flew on the bomber. I also spent some time learning about the DC-3/C-47. And I had the chance to meet and talk with some members of a Canadian reality television show - Ice Pilots NWT. The Buffalo Airways crew seemed pretty cool and I would totally love to see the show, too bad it's only shown in Canada, the UK, Australia and New Zealand. While the crew is here at AirVenture this week, they've also brought their film crew along and yes, me and my photographer found ourselves signing a release form since apparently I was recorded while conducting my interview. So for any of you Canadians, watch for the second season episode where the Buffalo Airways crew goes to AirVenture. If you see a girl sporting a red Wisconsin visor, wearing a blue tank and capris. That's me.

2. It's inevitable. With so many planes coming into Oshkosh during AirVenture (the control tower is dubbed the world's busiest control tower during the week-long event), there's bound to be a crash of some sort. Most of the time we're lucky and nobody is killed, although during two of the previous three AirVenture's I've covered there have been fatal crashes. This year? NASCAR owner Jack Roush crashed his plane while landing on Tuesday. He survived, but was taken to a local hospital, underwent surgery and has now been transferred to the Mayo Clinic. Go here to see pictures, but I warn you, a few are kind of graphic.

3. I've got one more shift out at AirVenture tomorrow. But I'm going back Saturday just for fun - to look at the stuff I want to look at and take pictures. And of course the big air show is Saturday. And this year? They're adding a second air show. At night. Followed by fireworks. I'm looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Marlene said...

Sounds like some exciting stuff going on! Makes work fun, I'm sure.