Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Swimming like a fish...on the treadmill

I sweat. A lot.

So it's not unusual for me to feel like I just stepped out of the shower when I get done with a run. And that's exactly what I felt like today.

Only problem? That run? It was indoors. On a treadmill. At the air conditioned YMCA.

See it's been in the mid-80s here since Sunday. And normally I can handle that. But when Mother Nature throws in 72 degree dew points? That's where I draw the line. And get cranky. And head indoors. Because seriously, I left the office tonight and it was actually hard to breathe. It was that humid.

And while I headed out on my bike yesterday after work for a 17-miler, I didn't really want to chance it with a run. So I opted for the YMCA. Thinking it would at least be comfortable while I ran.

Nope.

I have a feeling the YMCA air conditioning was broken. Maybe too many people had the same idea I did and the poor unit couldn't keep up. Whatever the reason, it was hot in there. And I couldn't even blame it too many people in the cardio room. Because there were maybe 5 other people besides me.

So the 4.25 mile run I did tonight? I should have just tried to do it outside, because it was just as hot and humid indoors as it was outdoors. By the time I was done, the sweat was dripping off me, rolling down my body. It felt I just stepped out of the shower.

But the run was done. And let me tell you, it never felt so good to actually get in the shower once I got home.

5 comments:

Jill said...

Hahah. I sweat a lot, too, and was more wet after my treadmill run today than had I just gone outdoors. Oh well, at least we got them done, right?? Nice job!! :)

Marlene said...

It's the humidity that really gets me too - brutal. The last two days I have been DRENCHED within minutes.

J said...

We have hair ozone alerts and air quality warnings all week. Definitely wouldn't want to run in that after work. Great job getting the run in even if it was sweaty!

Jess said...

I have been enjoying several ice cold showers after my nasty hot runs lately. They feel soooo good!

teacherwoman said...

Our YMCA has been so stuffy and nasty smelling lately. I would almost take a run in temps 10-15 degrees warmer than in the gym with those conditions... blech.