Thursday, February 21, 2008

There was one person missing at the slacker meeting tonight

I'm proud of myself. I resisted slacker mode today.

When I left for work this morning, I had good intentions. My gym bag was packed and it was thrown in the backseat of my car, ready to be utilized when I got done with the daily grind. It's been two weeks since I last visited the YMCA and gosh darn it, it was time I showed my face there again.

But then I worked. And most of the day I still had intentions to get to the YMCA. But all of a sudden quitting time came. And my intentions? They flew out the window or something. Because all of a sudden I was thinking of excuses.

It's cold outside. My gym bag has been sitting in my car all day, which means my gym clothes? They'll be ice cold. I'm going to watch The Coach play basketball in three hours. I have a few simple errands to run. It's cold outside.

So I left my office and I was pretty sure that gym bag was just going to sit in my car.

But then I got to the corner. And instead of turning right, I turned left. And I made it to the YMCA. Because it's been two weeks. And that's a long time. And I need to get back into a routine. And I miss how I feel after a decent workout.

So I ran. It was only a 2 mile run, and I did stop for a brief walk break somewhere in the middle. But still. The important thing is I ran. And I've missed it so much. And want to get back to the point where I was last summer. Because running for me? It relaxes me and gives me the opportunity to clear my head.

Today was a good day. I resisted the slacker urge. And hopefully today was the beginning of getting back on track. Because if I don't find that track, that Green Bay half marathon? It's really not going to happen. And there's a slim chance it might still be doable for me if I manage to find the motivation to run again and stick to a schedule.

I'm crossing my fingers.

1 comment:

Deloris said...

Good for you for taking the turn to the Y.

I was almost a slacker yesterday. My left quad has been hurting and I really didn't want to run. But I did. After I was done, my quad still hurt but I felt good.