Thursday, February 7, 2008

The numbers kept getting bigger

That felt good. And honestly, I didn't think I'd be able to say I accomplished this already.

But tonight? I logged a 2-mile run on the treadmill to nowhere before I had to stop for a brief walk break. And the best part? I probably could have kept going a bit longer if I really needed to.

The first mile went OK. I was aiming on squeezing in a mile and a half before I had to slow down the treadmill speed and briefly walk. But I kept the towel slung over the digital readout on the treadmill. And I just listened to my MP3 player.

"Stronger" by Kayne West was coming out of my headphones. It's about a 5 minute song. I told myself, just keep going until this one's done. Then you can walk. The song finished and yet I still didn't feel dead. So I kept going. Through a Kelly Clarkson song and then some My Chemical Romance. After that one, I admit, I peaked at the digital readout.

1.8 miles. I was almost done with the scheduled 2 miles I had to do for the day. And wouldn't it be nice if I could do it all at once with no breaks? That's what I was thinking. So I kept running. And I even cranked up the speed a notch or two.

Once the mileage hit 2 I did slow down and walk briefly. But I finished up my treadmill work with another three-tenths of a mile. And this time? I not only played with the speed, but I set the treadmill at a slight incline.

And even once I was done, I still felt good. That makes me think this running thing isn't going to take as long as I thought to get back into. And that makes me happy. Because I miss running and feeling good once the last steps are taken. Tonight I got a bit of that feeling. Here's hoping there's more on the way.

After tonight, the scheduled 3 miles I'm supposed to run Saturday don't look as scary as they did a week ago. I'll let you know how they go.

1 comment:

teacherwoman said...

Nice job on the run.... I hope the three miles you were to do today went great!:) You are making great gains!