Monday, March 28, 2011

Throw in some speed you say?

So after Saturday's less than stellar run, the Coach suggested I use my two shorter runs during the week to throw in a bit of speed.

With 3 miles on the schedule, I was supposed to "do some of the miles" at a 9:30 min/mile pace today. Gulp. OK. I've done that once before. And it was totally unintentional. But I was willing. I was originally planning on doing this run on the treadmill, where I could just set the pace and cross my fingers I didn't go flying off the the machine. But a last minute message from Jess turned the planned treadmill run into an outside run date.

A short half-mile warm up and we were at the park ready to tackle these 9:30 min/miles. Jess just didn't want to die. I didn't want to die either, but I also didn't want my friend to die because it would totally be my fault since it was my crazy idea to do this. We got to this 1.1 mile long trail that winds through the park and we were ready to go. I had a bit of a Garmin malfunction. I forgot to hit the lap button, so the pace that was displayed on the screen was taking into account the slow warm up.

Silly me I didn't realize that. So I'm running super fast and seeing numbers in the 10s and thinking, "What the heck? I feel like I'm dying!" I realized midway through what the problem was. But still, the first mile? WAAAY too fast (8:57). The second mile went much smoother (9:32). We finished up with a short cool down.

Overall the speedier run felt pretty good. Comfortably hard. Makes me think I should try to do this a little more often.

4 comments:

Deloris said...

Nice split times Jenny! You are improving so much. Glad you did your speed workout with a running buddy. :)

James said...

Sounds like a great run. I've done the lap mistake myself. :)

Suzy said...

It sounds like a great workout! I know adding mile repeats once in a while has really helped me.

Jess said...

LOL, this was so fun, especially since we didn't die. :) Count me in for the next time if I'm off :)