Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Bullet points sound good for a Tuesday

I need more than 24 hours in a day. At least this week I do. Two days into the work week and I found myself at the office past 6 p.m. on both days. Granted there was a late start on Monday. But still. By the time I get the run done, I'm ready for bed.

So you get bullet points tonight. Because that's all I have the energy for.

  • Remember my smashed up Focus? It went to the car doctor last week. And while the little blue Focus was getting a new front bumper and becoming less ghetto looking I was driving this, a 2010 Dodge Caliber. Nice car. But it felt so big! And the sight lines were a little awkward for me. I'm sure if I drove it enough I'd get used to it, but I was excited to go pick up my Focus on Friday afternoon. An added perk, in addition to looking like new, it was clean! So sparkly clean that I almost didn't recognize it!
  • I'm ready for Daylight Savings Time this weekend. It means longer days. More daylight. And as a result more time for me to go home and sneak in those shorter runs outside rather than on the treadmill at the YMCA. Monday night it was just a short 2 miles. But I get to the gym, at 6:30 p.m. when most of the traffic should be gone, to find it PACKED! Must be that pay the day special they're running in March. Because every single piece of equipment was full. I had to wait for a treadmill. Can't think of the last time I did that. Of course it probably didn't help that there were only 9 treadmills in the cardio room, one was out of order and the other was being monopolized by the girl running 11+ miles. I admit I break the 30-minute time limit rule - when there's no one there. But when people are waiting? Take your 11 mile run outdoors or come when there's no one there. I'm just saying.
  • Tonight was hill repeats. Nine of them. Ouch. On the plus side though I got to do them on one of the swanky new treadmills that arrived at the YMCA today (which is why there was a shortage Monday night). These things are fancy. An iPod hookup, a built in TV (which was a little too close for my liking). But the one gripe I had? No built in fan. So the run was a sweaty one. The hill repeats? They were tough, but I got them all done and finished up with 6 miles total.
  • I admit, I'm not good at strength training or stretching, but I will be doing a bit of it over the next few weeks. Remember when I crashed my car a few weeks ago? Well I ended up going to the chiropractor when my back got stiff and achy. Turns out I strained some upper back/neck muscles pretty bad. Not surprised since I did manage to crash my car while going around 40 miles per hour. But anyway. The chiropractor's been working on my back, but he's also sending me to a physical therapist to address some of the other damage that I did. So I've got a set of exercises and stretches I need to do. Which reminds me, I should probably do them before I go to bed.
  • And I also realize I owe you a February reading report. But that'll have to wait. Sometime this week. Hopefully.
Night folks!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Sounds like a tough workout last night, great job getting through it! The treadmill I use at the gym doesn't have a fan either, but I love the running surface better than the regular kind of treadmill, so I deal with it. Have fun with your strength training and stretching. I'd love to hear if you feel a difference after a few weeks or not. I think it's really good for runners, but often overlooked because of time.

Run with Jess said...

I love hill repeats! Good job!
Happy you get your car back soon.

Havs said...

I concur. We need more hours (especially daylight hours) here in WI. I've been up since 3:30am, and worked some OT on my day off. Still not enough hours in the day. Hope your car gets fixed soon!!