Thursday, September 25, 2008

It was too nice to be cooped up inside

My alarm went off at 4:50 a.m.

No, that's not a typo. It really started buzzing at 4:50 this morning. When it was still pitch black outside. I fumbled around and hit the off button, got out of bed and shielded my eyes against the bright light when I stumbled into the bathroom, still half asleep.

By 6 a.m. I was at work. More awake, but still tired. And still thinking there was something not quite right about being at work when it was still dark outside.

But I worked. And when the clock hands hit 3 p.m. I was done. And I left.

My original plan was to head over the YMCA, maybe sneak in a run and a little time on the stationary bike.

But it was nice outside. Sunny. Temperatures in the mid-70s. Barely a breeze. Absolutely gorgeous. It would have been hard walking into the YMCA and running on a treadmill to nowhere while looking out the big wall of windows at the beautiful day.

So when my car got to the corner, I turned right instead of left and headed home. I threw on some shorts and a tank top, grabbed my iPod and filled my water bottle up and hopped on my bike for a 16-mile ride.

It was so much better than the YMCA option. I enjoyed the ride. It was nice and peaceful. Just me, my tunes and my bike. Granted there was a bit of traffic, including a few cars that almost hit me because they absolutely refused to cross the center line to pass me, even though there was no oncoming traffic.

I savored all 74 minutes that it took me to finish the 16 miles. Because I know the kind of weather we had today isn't going to be around for much longer. The days will start getting a bit more fall-like and chilly and the sun? It's going to start disappearing sooner.

Today's ride? Perfect.

And now it's time to shower and settle in. Because tonight? It's the return of Grey's Anatomy. And I'm excited.

1 comment:

teacherwoman said...

Very smart move on the bike ride. I am just hoping that sometime this weekend it will be nice enough (without the wind) to get out and ride!