Friday, March 1, 2013

February Reading Recap

I’m not sure how I was able to read so much in February considering it is the shortest month and I was fairly busy. But I did. And let me tell you, there were some good titles this month.

 I ended up finishing eight books in February for a total of 2,195 pages. That brings the yearly total to 12 books and 3,678 pages. Compared to last year at the end of February when I had finished seven books and 2,341 pages. Needless to say, I’m well on my way to my 45 book goal.

So what did I read this month?

Looking for Alaska by John Green
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? By Mindy Kaling
The Jane Austen Marriage Manual by Kim Izzo
If I Stay by Gayle Forman
MWF Seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search for a New Best Friend by Rachel Bertsche
Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally
Easy by Tammara Webber 

And now for the brief reviews, complete with number of stars given out on GoodReads. Follow me here if you’d like a more timely update on what I’m reading, what I think and what’s been added to my to-read list.

Looking for Alaska by John Green ****
I read Green’s The Fault in Our Stars last year and I REALLY liked it, so I was eager to pick up another one of his books. This was the story of a group of tight-knit friends at a boarding school and what happens when tragedy strikes. Sucks you in.

I heard a lot of good reviews about this one, but maybe I’m just not an autobiography-type person. There were parts that were funny and other parts where I was just like, really? Overall, this really didn’t do it for me.

This was one of those random books that I picked off the library shelf thinking it might have potential. It was decent.

If I Stay by Gayle Forman ****
I don’t remember where I came across this recommendation, but I’m glad I did. A YA book that focuses on Mia, a teenage girl who is in a horrible accident that kills her parents and brother. She’s in a coma and left trying to decide whether to hold on or succumb to her injuries. Sucks you in.

OMG. I wanted to punch this author by midway through the book. Whiny. Annoying. She’s got her work friends, her couple friends and a bunch of BFFs scattered across the country, but now she wants more. Her Chicago BFF. So she goes on 52 girl dates in an attempt to find that person. And tells you about every single one. Horrible. Don’t pick it up.

Where She Went by Gayle Forman *****
The follow up to If I Stay. Told from Mia’s boyfriend’s point of view. Gives a glimpse into what happened after the accident. Couldn’t put it down.

Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally ****
A YA novel. Teenage girl gets into a love triangle. Entertaining, light read.


Easy by Tammara Webber *****
Another one where I can’t remember where I got the recommendation, but SO good. Jacqueline goes to college, her longtime boyfriend dumps her, but she meets this bad boy who saves her from an attacker who her friends say is the perfect rebound. At the same time, there’s this econ tutor, who she never actually meets in person. There were some twists and a storyline about overcoming fears and standing up for yourself. Good stuff. Read it.

While I finished eight books last month, I am also in the middle of two at the moment. There will be a few books popping up on next month’s list that are re-reads from previous years. I normally don’t re-read a lot of books, but they’re part of series and new books are coming out. And because they’re all in that young adult dystopia genre, I need to refresh my memory so I don’t get multiple series mixed up in my mind!

No comments: