Wednesday, February 11, 2009

That felt good

We've been experiencing our mid-winter thaw here, although honestly I'd be OK if winter just decided to take a hike at this point.

Yesterday the mercury in the thermometer reached 50 degrees. Yes. 50 degrees. In Wisconsin. In February. And although it would have been a wonderful chance to get outside and get a run in, I opted not to since I was a pint short of blood and feeling a little off.

No fear though. Today was just as nice. Not quite as warm, but no wind so it felt warm. I sat at my desk all day at work, thinking I'd hook up with a local running club this evening for a "fun run" and log my first outdoor run since who knows when.

I was running a little late at work tonight, but I had enough time to make it over to the "fun run." Except when I walked out of my office building? It was dark. And getting chilly. And the wind? It was starting to pick up. So I opted to bail on the "fun run" and just headed for the treadmill at the YMCA instead.

And you know what? Even though I haven't run in almost a week. It still felt good. I putzed around with the speed, making my last two miles faster than the first. And when the timer started to count down, I kicked it up a couple of notches and did an all out sprint for the last two minutes or so.

Ended up doing 3 miles tonight. Felt good. I'm getting to the point where I want to run outside. I just don't know if I can handle the winter-like weather that's apparently going to return this weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The warm weather the past few days has been a tease. Grrr....

teacherwoman said...

I agree with dave. Mother Nature is such a tease.

Nice job on the run!