Tuesday, August 3, 2010

July reading recap

July's reading totals? Yeah. Those would be somewhat pitiful. And even more pitiful when you consider that I spent a week on vacation smack dab in the middle of the month. But at least I read.

The pitiful results? I finished a grand total of one book. Yes. One. As in a single book. I'd feel better if it was at least a monster of a book to finish, but it wasn't. It was 398 pages. So that brings the yearly total to 18 books and 6,607 pages. Kind of eerie, but if you compare where I am this year to where I was at the end of July 2009? At this time last year I had just finished a month when I read one book (apparently July isn't a very reading friendly month) and my yearly totals were 18 books and 6,309 pages. Same number of books, but I've got 298 more pages done this year.

Enough numbers. What'd I read?

Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally

I picked this one up after seeing it on the bookshelf in my room at my parents' house. I've read it once before - in eighth grade before I took a class trip to Washington D.C. where we went through the Holocaust Museum. It was also the same year the movie came out. I wanted to see it, but had to have my Mom take me since it was an R movie and I wasn't close to being 17 years old (or however old you have to be to get into an R movie). I enjoyed it. Actually got a lot more out of it this time through than I did when I read it in junior high. And it reminds me that I find this period in history fascinating. May have to find some other stuff to read on the topic. Suggestions?

1 comment:

Olivia @ Blissful Runner said...

I LOVE reading WWII fiction. It's kind of guilty pleasure - wow, I feel horrible for saying that! Anyway, if you like fiction, I just finished Those Who Save Us, by Jenna Blum. It's about a German woman who's Jewish lover is put into a camp. It's one of the best books I've read in a long time.