Monday, September 28, 2009

Swim class number 3

And in the third week I learned to do bilateral breathing.

Yes folks. I can now breathe on both sides when I swim.

When it comes to having to take a breath while swimming, I've always taken it on the right side. I'm not sure if I never learned how to breathe on my left side, or if I've never been comfortable with it, so I just stuck to breathing on my right.

But this morning, after doing a warm up and some drills, we had the option to break off into a training group and tackle a longer swim workout or do some small group work with the coach and work on breathing. Me? I decided to squeeze every penny and morsel of information out of my $30 class fee and went with the breathing group.

We worked on the separate pieces, utilizing a side swimming kick first on our right side then the left. Then we'd swim half the length of the pool on side and switch to the other. Pretty soon we were putting all the pieces together and putting the new bilateral breathing technique into practice.

Nice. I liked it. It felt comfortable.

Overall it was a good class. Learned I need to keep my head lower in the water and how to breathe on both sides today. Not bad.

Was going to go for a short run on the treadmill tonight after work. But it was miserable outside. Super windy with steady winds around 30 miles per hour and gusts up around 40. Cold with temperatures in the low 50s and rainy. Yuck. Plus I had a pounding headache all day. So I ditched the run and just went home.

I'm OK with that though. But I think the swim class was a success this morning.

1 comment:

Carolina John said...

nice! i love bilateral breathing. it has proven to be one of the best things i have learned in the pool.