Thursday, January 1, 2009

Resolutions. Resolutions.

I hope everyone had a good New Year's. I spent mine celebrating with a good friend and a bunch of other folks in a bar downtown here in the City on the Water.

I'm ready to put 2008 behind me and move on. Because 2009? It's got to be better than last year. Don't get me wrong. 2008 wasn't an awful year, it was one of those in-between years. The whole Monster in my head? Although he technically appeared at the end of 2007, he was there during a good chunk of 2008 and when I did finally get him to leave, he left some baggage behind. So 2008? Not the greatest year. But not the best either.

But 2009? It's going to be good. I hope. And since 2009 is already over 14 hours old, I guess I better make some resolutions. Goals. Things to work towards. Some Monster related. Some not.

I give you, my resolutions for 2009:
  • Be happy. Like I said 2008 wasn't my best year. I struggled. Maybe not outwardly, but inside I wasn't as happy as I normally am. Things bugged me. Monster related things. But this year? I left the Monster with the 2008 calendar when I threw it out. No more Monster. He won't get me down this year. Neither will the side effects he brought along. So this year I resolve to be happy. Happy with my job, my friends, my family and the life I'm living. The one I'm living without the Monster.
  • The pesky weight. I know. I know. Everyone says it. I'm going to lose weight. But I am. Because when I finally was able to get the Monster to leave? He managed to leave behind some baggage. About 3o pounds worth. And this year? I'll be shedding that extra weight. Because even though the Monster thinks I want it, I don't.
  • To regain my fitness. Before the Monster I was in the best shape I've ever been in my life. I had just run my first half marathon. I felt good and thought I looked good. Then the Monster came. Overstayed his welcome and took my fitness with him when he got booted out of my head. I struggled in 2008. Running became hard. A chore. It wasn't much fun. Yes, I biked more and started to swim. But in a way it was because I thought I had to just to combat the nasty side effects of the Monster. I want to change that. This year I want to start running again because I enjoy it. I want to swim and bike because I like to. And I want to cross the finish line of a half marathon again. And triathlon No. 2 is already penciled onto the calendar. In ink.
  • Books. Yes. It's a resolution I have every year. But I'm aiming for 40 books again this year. But I might mix it up a bit this year. While compiling the list of what I read during 2008 I noticed that I spent my time reading a lot of newer stuff. This year I'm going to add some classics to the list. And while it might end up making me miss my goal of 40 books, I'd be OK with that. I'm starting out with one of those lengthy ones: Gone with the Wind, all 1,024 pages of it. This could take a while.
  • Pick up a new hobby. Well maybe not new, but one that I've abandoned the past few years. I used to scrapbook. A lot. But then I moved to the City on the Water and my supplies went untouched. I want to pull out the papers and scissors and pictures again and start catching up on documenting the memories I've collected over the years.
That's it. Like I said, I know a lot of my resolutions have to due with the Monster. But he's played a big role in my life the last 14 months or so. And I'm at the point where I'm ready to be rid of him. I admit, I'm sure there will be times during the year where he makes a reappearance. And I guess he came come and visit. Briefly. There are no prolonged visits by the Monster allowed in 2009.

1 comment:

Runner Leana said...

Thanks so much for stopping by! You have some fantastic goals for 2009. Best of luck - I look forward to following along!