Monday, June 16, 2008

Trying to get back on track

The triathlon's less than a month away.

I'm starting to get a bit nervous. Mostly because the illness I've been battling the last three weeks? It's really taken a toll on me and has affected my training. In other words, running, swimming and biking have kind of taken a backseat to hacking up a lung, being congested and, in general, feeling like crap.

I think the swimming will come along fine. And the biking? I'm not worried about that. It's the running that's starting to scare me. Until today, the last time I laced up my running shoes was May 31. That's a long time ago. And I'm worried the 3.1 miles I'll have to cover will be hard and that I'll die.

So today, I vowed to get back on track.

I hit the YMCA after work tonight. And instead of just jumping in the pool, I headed upstairs to the cardio room and made myself get on the treadmill to nowhere. I didn't have big plans. Just to get some kind of run in. I decided to aim for 2 miles. Not too far, not too short. Turns out, 2 miles was a good number to aim for since I struggled. I'm hoping it was because I was trying to run too fast or my body wasn't used to it after not running for so long. Or maybe it was the whole, "Hey, you've been sick for 3 weeks, ease back into this running thing slowly." Whatever it was, that was a hard 2 miles.

Afterwards, I headed down to the pool and swam 1,000 yards. And that was easier than the run I had just done. I took it nice and slow. The only downside? Remember how I pulled a muscle in my rib cage area from hacking up a lung? That was kind of sore yet, but I was still able to swim decent.

So I logged a swim and a run tonight. And my reward? A tasty strawberry shortcake. Yum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're feeling better and able to get back into training.

I've been having some issues with my asthma and my doctor has been playing with my meds so I'm a bit nervous about the triathlon as well. But, I keep telling myself that it will be okay.

Besides, your adrenaline will kick in the day of, not to mention all the training you've been doing. You'll do great! :)