Thursday, November 5, 2009

I will not be going back to Jenna #2

Sometimes I wonder if haircuts are really necessary. Because they're kind of a pain to deal with.

Last night I caved and went to get my hair cut. It was my first one since spring and my ends were looking a little scraggly. I can always tell when I need to chop it when I wear it pulled back into a ponytail all week at work. And on those rare days when I do wear it down? It gets pulled back by lunchtime.

This was one of those times.

So I went to get it chopped. I sat down in the chair and told Jenna #2, the girl who would be doing the cutting, that I just wanted a couple inches off the ends and a few longer layers around my face. And I have to be able to pull it back in a ponytail. She nods her head. I take that as a sign she understands what I want.

She shampoos. And conditions. And starts cutting. A first no problems. Then she gets to the area around my face. Hmmm, I think to myself, that looks like an awfully long chunk she just cut off. She keeps cutting. Soon she says, time to style. OK. Blow dryer, round brush. A little bit of that ratting and then she's done.

She spins me around in the chair to face the mirror, what do you think?

Gulp.

Poofy. I don't do poof. Especially not poof that is more poofy on one side of my head than the other. And those long layers I asked for? I essentially have long bangs. On one side of my head only! We're talking "layers" that come up to my cheek bones. Not exactly what I had in mind.

Umm, it's great. I fake a smile. Get out of the chair, pay and leave.

And almost cry in my car. I hate it. As I drove home I thought, maybe it won't be so bad in the morning, when I can style it myself. My way.

And it wasn't. I made it look normal this morning. Sans poof. And those "long layers" are just long enough to tuck behind my ear, although they do fall in front of my eyes every so often. So I think I'll learn to live with the hair cut.

But those layers? Let me tell you. They are going to be a pain when it comes to the gym. I'm a ponytail and headband kind of girl. And those long layers that are only on one side of my head? They were flopping all around tonight when I was running. Probably made me look like I had wings on one side of my head. So I think I might have to add a barrette to the arsenal of hair accessories I use when running.

Those of you with shorter layers around your face or longer bangs, any suggestions?

Even with my wings, the run went really well tonight. Four miles done. Wings and all.

8 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Wow. A bad haircut sucks. Why is it that we have a hard time telling the person that just cut our hair that we hate it?! Maybe you will have invest in some more bobby pins?! sorry!

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to just about everything in this - hair in a ponytail all week ... yeah, that's me right NOW; Poofy .. that's me EVERY day.

Sorry you had a bad cut! It sucks, but at least it's just hair and it grows out. I second bobby pins ...

P.S. - We definitely need to meet up before the Turkey Trot!

Suzy said...

I hate a bad haircut. Thankfully it'll grow back. I have longer bangs and layers and I just use a headband to pull it all back. It is easier for me. You'll find what you like. You never know, those wings may make you faster. ;)

Jennie said...

Head band and/or bobby pins. If you have the thicker headband that's good for keeping sweat out of your eyes, it'll usually hold those bad boy bang/layers in place.

Diana said...

Hair dressers are just like weather people. They get a way with doing a shitty job. The one that kills me the most is with the haircuts....is we "pay" for what we really hate!
UGH!!!

Nat said...

I hate it when they don't listen to you. I always tell them to just trim the ends and it never fails, they cut a good 1.5 inches off. EVERY.TIME. No matter who it is.

Runner Leana said...

Let's see, bobby pins, barrets, visors, headbands, hats, those all help! Sorry to hear you aren't a fan of the haircut. The good news is it will grow back!!

Megan said...

Remember, see Katie. Or Vanessa if you want something a bit more edgy. Ive had great experiences with both of them.

Or one of the senior stylists and Indira in Appleton. It's $50, but theyre amazing!