Friday, September 4, 2009

I danced the night away

Runs can be skipped when musicians beckon.

I had tickets to go see O.A.R. last night in Madison. So I pulled one of those days where you eat lunch at your desk to sneak out the office earlier. When the hands on the clock pointed at 4 p.m. I was out the door. On my way to Madison.

The concert was at the Overture Center, this great venue downtown used for performing arts. Usually musicals, symphonies and other theatrical productions.

But last night O.A.R. took the stage. And it was amazing.

It was general admission, so first come first serve for seating. My friend Amanda and I got there about a half hour before the show started and staked out a pair of seats on the outskirts of the main level. But it was nice. Because it was in the upper level of the main level, so we were actually sitting above everyone on the main floor, so when the show started and they all stood up, we could still see the stage without having to stand.

Of course, I couldn't resist. I couldn't make it through an entire show siting down. About four songs in, I was out of my seat, dancing the night away as the boys jammed on stage. So I'll count that as my "workout" for the day.

Like I said, concert? It was amazing. Good mix of tunes. We had some newer stuff - "This Town" and "Shattered" off their new album - as well as some older stuff - "About Mr. Brown" and "Dareh Meyod." Midway through the set they sat down in a semi circle and busted out an acoustic set with "I Feel Home" and the opener Brett Dennen sat in on a rendition of Paul Simon's "The Obvious Child." Good stuff.

And it wouldn't be an O.A.R. concert without the crowd (and one of my) favorite "That Was A Crazy Game of Poker." Good closer before coming back out on stage for a 2-song encore.

So fabulous concert. Well worth the ticket price, the 2-hour drive to Madison and the late night. Unfortunately I forgot my camera. So no photographic evidence. But trust me. It was good. Both to listen to and look at.

Even though I woke up this morning with sore legs from the dancing, I did manage to crank out a mid-morning 2-mile run. Hoping to sneak in a short one tomorrow morning before I take off for some Labor Day weekend fun. Have a good one!
* Photo courtesy of Wisconsin State Journal

2 comments:

teacherwoman said...

I am so freakin' jealous! I have been wanting to see them forever. THe closest they get to Fargo is the Twin Cities and there were there on the 2nd... can't do a school night! LOL

Runner Leana said...

I love OAR! It must have been an amazing show. Sadly I haven't seen them live yet.