Wednesday, January 1, 2014

December reading recap

76! I did it!

Guys, I accomplished my Reading Goal Version 4.0, to read 75 books in 2013. I actually finished book No. 75 Sunday, but I figured I had just enough time to sneak one last title in before I headed out for New Year's Eve festivities. I ended up reading eight books in December for a total of 2,785 pages.

I'll leave the final year stats for the overall year in review post. I just wanted to do a quick rundown of what I read in December.

How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True by Sarah Strohmeyer
Something Borrowed by Emily Griffin
One for the Money by Janet Evanovich
Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison by Piper Kerman
Learning to Stay by Erin Celello
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
Until There Was You by Kristan Higgins
Rumor Has It by Jill Shalvis

So it was another month of so-so reading and a month that was heavy on the chick lit. What? Sometimes you just need 31 days of mindless fluff reading, especially in December.

And now for the brief reviews, complete with number of stars given out on GoodReads. Follow me here if you’d like a more timely update on what I’m reading, what I think and what’s been added to my to-read list.

How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True by Sarah Strohmeyer  ***
I've read this author before and liked her, so I thought I'd give this a shot. Umm, let's just say it was somewhat forgettable. Something about teens working at a fairy tale theme park. It was OK, but I don't recommend wasting your time. Find something else.

Something Borrowed by Emily Griffin ****
Cute, quick read. I feel like I've read this before, but I couldn't find it on my list anywhere.

One for the Money by Janet Evanovich  ***
I've got a lot of friends who like this series, so I thought I'd give it a try. A quick read and there are plenty of titles available. I may read a few more in 2014.

Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison by Piper Kerman  ***
In my professional life I write about criminal justice issues, so this was a natural to pick up. Parts of it dragged a bit, but it was interesting to hear about life inside a prison from someone who's gone through it. Also interesting to read about the relationships the inmates form.

Learning to Stay by Erin Celello  ***
Decent story dealing with veterans, PTSD, a traumatic brain injury and dogs.

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell  ****
I've heard so many good things about this one. I liked it. A lot. Not sure why I didn't give it 5 stars though.

Until There Was You by Kristan HIggins  ***
Chick lit. Enough said.

Rumor Has It by Jill Shalvis  ***
More chick lit. I liked this one though.

No comments: