Monday, July 1, 2013

June Reading Recap

Let's skip the fact that it's already July. Let's just talk about books.

Like the previous five months, I managed to do a little reading in June. As in six books and 2,037 pages. That brings the yearly total to 39 books and 12,867 pages (give or take a couple pages since a few books this year were of the Kindle variety). Compared to last year when I had finished 22 books and 7,475 pages by the end of June. I'd say I'm doing OK and well on my way to hitting my 52-book goal for the year. Let's just say I might want to consider upping that goal, but I'll decide that in the coming months. Or whenever I hit 52 books.

So what'd I read in June?

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Entwined With You by Sylvia Day
Requiem by Jamie McGuire
Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris
Burned by Sara Shepard
In the Woods by Tana French

And now for the brief reviews, complete with number of stars given out on GoodReads. Follow me here if you’d like a more timely update on what I’m reading, what I think and what’s been added to my to-read list.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen  ****
It's one of those classics that everybody has read. But I had never read it. So I picked it up and it didn't disappoint.

Entwined With You by Sylvia Day  ****
I'd been waiting for this third book of the series to come out since last fall. It didn't disappoint. What did disappoint? Learning there were plans for a fourth book. And I'll have to wait until who knows when to read it.

Requiem by Jamie McGuire  ****
This wasn't bad. A quick read.

Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris  ***
This is #12 in the Sookie Stackhouse series and since I've read every other one, it was time to pick this one up. These are fun, quick reads. I am, however, looking forward to reading the 13th and final book in the series.

Burned by Sara Shepard  **
Tell me again why I'm still reading this series? Seriously. After 12 books, it needs to wrap up. Actually it could have wrapped up a few books ago. But from I've heard, there isn't any immediate plans to do that. Sadly, I'll probably keep reading them. Unless someone forbids me to. Yes, please forbid from reading more of this series.

In the Woods by Tana French  *****
By far, my favorite book of the month. Maybe it's because I write about crime for a living, but I found this one fascinating. A great crime story full of twists and turns. One that I couldn't put down. And I was pretty excited to realize this is part of a series. So needless to say, I'll be reading the rest of these books. If you haven't, pick this one up and read it. Trust me.

So what's next for July? If the library comes through with any of the books I've requested, I'll obviously read those. But I'm also thinking it's time to start tackling A Clash of Kings, the second book in the series by George R.R. Martin, which Game of Thrones is based on.

No comments: