Friday, February 8, 2013

Getting ready for a crazy busy Saturday

I work a rare Saturday shift tomorrow.

It's the opening of sturgeon spearing season on Lake Winnebago. The two weeks or so each February where people head out onto Lake Winnebago with their ice shanties, cut a big hole in the ice and stare down that hole for hours, hoping to see the big one swim through. Then they hurl a spear at the fish and hope they don't miss.

But what's a sturgeon, you ask?


An ugly, prehistoric fish that's been swimming in Lake Winnebago for, well, forever.

And even though the ice conditions are questionable, people are still expected to head out on the ice tomorrow. And me? Well, I get to cover the opening day craziness. Really crossing my fingers people don't go through the ice, that would make for a long day and since my work day is already going to start at 6 a.m., it's going to be a long day regardless.

But it's not just sturgeon I have to worry about.

There's also the Badger game at 11 a.m., when Wisconsin takes on Michigan at the Kohl Center. I'm really hoping I'm back in my office by then starting to either write my story or work on editing video footage. Because I can totally multi-task and catch the Badger game at the same time.

And I need to find enough energy to get in my 5-mile run, which I'll most likely end up having to do at the YMCA either on the treadmill or by running around in circles.

And there are tentative plans to catch Silver Linings Playbook with a friend.

It's going to be a long day. And I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a nap.

No comments: