Tuesday, May 1, 2012

April reading recap

Hard to believe one-third of the year is done already. Not only am I behind in terms of meeting my running mileage goal, but it looks like I'm behind in terms of my reading goal as well.

In April I finished three books for a total of 1,094 pages. That brings me to 12 books and 4,049 pages. At this point last year I was struggling to get through Les Miserables. And we all know how long that ended up taking me. Months.

So what did I read in April?

Delirium by Lauren Oliver
The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

Delirium was good and The Lucky One was your basic Nicholas Sparks book. Set in North Carolina, throw in a love triangle with an "unexpected" twist and everyone ends up happily ever after. Kind of predictable. I normally like books better than movies, but in the case of Nicholas Sparks books, I tend to like the movies better. Don't take as much brain power to read and there's always some eye candy involved on the big screen.

Now Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close was interesting. It was another one of those books that took FOREVER to get into. It was confusing. I wasn't sure what exactly I was reading. Then the last 100 pages or so got better, at least it was easier to read and follow. But it didn't make up for the first half. Needless to say, the movie isn't high on my must watch list.

So what's everyone else reading these days?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm about halfway through "Sacred Acre", the book I mentioned last month. Reading about the tornado and murder aren't easy, but there are a lot of positives in the book too. There are lots of stories about how the coach cared about his students and wanted them to do the right thing in life. He never focused on winning, just doing things right, and then winning and success takes care of itself. And quite a few fun stories too.

I got to hear one of the family members (his son Aaron) speak a couple days ago - very inspiring. And they are putting on a 10k next month, which I'm pretty sure I'll be running.

Renee said...

Have you read The Paris Wife? Really good book.

Kim said...

I liked the movie Extremely Loud, it was very good. That said, I did not read the book.

I'm reading You Have No Idea by Vanessa Williams, love it! Recently finished The Fault in Our Stars, it's excellent, and Born Wicked, meh (if you want a copy of it BlogHer sent me two).