Sunday, January 29, 2012

11 Random Things

There's been a game going around the blogosphere. It's all about randomness. And I like randomness. Jess tagged me to play along and since I return to the working world tomorrow, I thought this was a good way to end my furlough.

The Rules:
  1. Post these rules.
  2. You must post 11 random things about yourself.
  3. Answer the questions set for you in the post you were tagged in.
  4. Create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer.
  5. Go to their blog, FB page, or where you can grab their attention and inform them of their obligation to the blogosphere.

11 Random Things:
  1. I've broken one bone in my life: My right wrist when I was in kindergarten and fell off a piece of playground equipment.
  2. I lived in the state of Indiana for exactly 365 days. Not kidding. Moving truck pulled in on Halloween and left the next Halloween.
  3. I will never like bananas. Don't like the smell. The texture. The taste.
  4. I've played the violin and piano since third grade.
  5. I get pretty freaked out during nasty storms if I'm alone. I love them when I'm with people, but if it's just me I get scared. I blame it on the summer I lived in Indiana when it was constant storm after storm with so much lightning during the night if felt like the middle of the afternoon. I had this fear I'd die or get hurt and nobody would know since I didn't know a ton of people.
  6. I was supposed to be at Camp Randall in October 1998 the night Drew Brees threw for 400+ yards and "Jump Around" became a tradition. Instead I was at my brother's wedding. I spent most of the reception in the bar watching the game. And of course I still remind him about it.
  7. It's kind of hard to get into prison, but I've been there more times than I can count. All for work purposes of course. :)
  8. I never liked to run when I was younger. Dreaded the annual mile run. Makes me wonder what high school me would say when I find out I now run half marathons for fun.
  9. My first concert was a Dave Matthews Band concert at the Kohl Center in Madison in 1998. The most recent concert I went to was Lady Gaga in Milwaukee in 2010. What? My Dad wanted to go.
  10. I have a tendency to procrastinate. I always tell myself I work better at the last minute.
  11. The only pet I've had was a Beta fish named Felipe my college roommates got me. Felipe was an unsocial fish, just stared at the wall. I didn't really want him to begin with, so there's a chance I "forgot" to feed him or clean his bowl. Stubborn little fish. He wouldn't die. So one night in March he got a new home in Lake Mendota.

Questions asked by Jess at Run with Jess:

I know you're a runner - but have you ever watched/cheered at a race?
I got a chance to spectate and cheer on a friend of mine at Ironman Wisconsin in September. It. Was. Amazing. My friend Jeff is a seasoned IM competitor, he's finished either 10 or 11, so getting the chance to stand along the road in the rural countryside west of Madison and cheer for the athletes and then bike around campus like crazy to cheer for Jeff during the marathon portion was a ton of fun. And watching the other athletes, especially those who were somewhere in the first loop of the marathon when the pain of the day started to set in but refused to give up? Totally inspiring.

Where's your favorite place to run?
It's a toss up between Menominee Park, where I can get a nice four-mile loop in through the park, out to the point and back along the water, or the Wiouwash Trail, where I can just zone out and run. I tend to lean towards the Wiouwash Trail.

Would you rather be able to run fast OR far?
Ideally both. But since I've got to choose, I'd rather be able to run far.

Name one bad habit that you want to break.
I admit it. I'm a nail biter. And when I'm stressed out? It gets worse. Someday I'll stop forever. Hopefully.

If you could trade lives with anyone for just one day, who would it be?
I think working PR for the U.S. Olympic Team would be pretty cool. Imagine all the stories that could be told about the (mostly) everyday athletes who have put in the work to make a dream a reality. And yes, it would probably need to be more than one day. :)

Your ideal workout would consist of...
A long run with friends. And make it in Madison, just because I wasn't really a runner in college and missed out on so many amazing running routes!

Name one food item that you'd like to magically make "healthy."
Pizza.

What's your favorite distance to run and why?
I like the half marathon distance. It's far enough that it's still a challenge to me, yet considering I've finished a number of them, I know I can cover the distance and still have fun.

What's the one thing about running that you DON'T like?
The battle scars I'm left with on those days when I forgot to use the Body Glide. Ouch.

What's your favorite cross-training exercise?
I like my bike.

What sports did you play in high school?
I played tennis. Hated having to do the half-mile warm lap around the school before practice. And now I run long distances.

Technically I'm supposed to come up with 11 questions of my own and tag a bunch of people. But this thing's been going around the blogosphere for a good chunk of time now. So instead, if you want to participate, tell me something random about yourself in the comments!

2 comments:

Carolina John said...

Dude, my first concert was Poison in 1987. Thanks for making me feel old on a monday morning. I did see DMB in 1996 at a cool small venue with Rusted Root opening, and you couldn't pay me to go to a gaga show. That says a lot about your dad.

MotherRunner said...

I love the Wiouwash too.. except for the three or so weeks in the summer it is dominated by super aggressive deer flies.