Tuesday, November 1, 2011

October reading recap


I wasn't running so much this month, but I guess I was spending that extra time reading.

I finished six books in October for a total of 1,731 pages. That brings the yearly total to 27 books and 10,048 pages, compared to 32 books and 11,292 books at the end of October last year. Still behind schedule, but I've made up some ground. The 40 book goal still looks kind of tough, but a little bit more doable. With two months left in 2011, I've still got to read 13 books to hit the 40 book goal. That averages out to 6.5 books a month. Can I do? We'll see.

What'd I read in October?

Killer by Sara Shepard
Heartless by Sara Shepard
Wanted by Sara Shepard
Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him by Luis Carlos Montalvan
You Are An Ironman by Jacques Steinberg
Miracle Beach by Erin Celello

Yup. More of that young adult lit took up a good portion of the month. But you won't see much more. I've only got one book left in the series, unless Sara Shepard writes a few more in the next few weeks. So I might need to find another quick-reading series. You Are An Ironman was pretty good. No. After reading it I do not want to do an Ironman. Although I do have the urge to get back into triathlons next year. But it was a feeling I was having before reading this book. More like one I've been feeling since, oh June when I didn't line up at the swim start at the High Cliff Tri. Miracle Beach was a great debut novel by a Wisconsin author. Read it if you get the chance and Until Tuesday was a great look at a returning war vet and also the whole concept of a service dog and how important they can be for a person.

I've got no shortage of things to read in November. As always happens with library holds, a bunch of my requests came in at once. And of course the two biggest ones are due back the soonest. Which means I've got less than two weeks left to make it through some monster novels. Good thing I've got a bit of time off coming up.

4 comments:

J said...

My reading has really taken a hit lately. I can't even remember the last book I read. I need to get to the library! Thanks for the ideas!

MotherRunner said...

Hey - new follower! Found you from our Ragnar page. Can't wait for June! :)

Bethany K. Warner said...

Two YA recommendations:
1. Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan trilogy. Alternate WWI history/Steampunk.

2. Rachel Caine's Morganville vampires series. Not at all like those sparkly vamps. On the omnibus editions, yours truly is blurbed, so clearly... She's got something like 11 of them out with a series promised through book 15.

3. Ok, I lied. I have more. They are e-books only, but buy Joshua Grover-David Patterson's "Blood Calling" and "Mercy." He hails from Appleton.

Unknown said...

Oh! I've been meaning to read Until Tuesday - gonna head to the library and see if I can find it here, since I didn't get to it before I left Wisconsin.