Monday, March 1, 2010

Grumbling legs and a look back at February

The legs were totally rebelling tonight when I stepped on the treadmill.

Are you crazy? You just made us run 6.2 miles yesterday and now you want us to run again? Haven't you ever heard of a rest day?

Yeah, that's what they were screaming at me when I stepped on the treadmill tonight. But I didn't listen to them. The training plan said a 3-mile run was on tap today. And darn it, screaming legs or not, I was going to do the 3 miles.

And the legs apparently figured out it was a lost cause to keep screaming, because after an easy 1.5 miles, they felt pretty decent. So I played around with the speed a bit and when the numbers on the treadmill flipped to 3 miles, I was still feeling pretty decent, so I opted to throw in an extra mile.

Overall 4.1 miles in 42 minutes tonight. And aside from the initial unhappy legs, the run felt pretty good.

*****

So February's done. Ummm, I'm still trying to figure out where January went. So let's take a quick look at the month.

Run: 55 miles
Bike: 29.5 miles
Swim: 0 yards

Oops. Totally slacked on the swimming. I'm going to change that in March. Really I am. And the biking went down a bit, but the run totals? Considering February only has 28 days and I pounded out 55 miles compared to 50.8 miles during the 31 days in January. I'll take that.

Let's take a look at the year:

Run: 105.8 miles
Bike: 96.5 miles
Swim: 338 yards

I'm a tenth of way towards the 1,000 mile running goal for the year. Yes, I'm still behind. But I'm hoping to catch up a bit this month. The half marathon plan has me running 70 miles this month if I follow it exactly. And well, I've never been too good at following it exactly. Take for instance tonight. I was supposed to run 3 miles. I ran 4.1 miles. Goals for March include getting back into the pool, upping the bike mileage again and sticking with the half marathon training!

7 comments:

MCM Mama said...

Great job doing a little extra!

ihaverun said...

I'm behind on the 1000 miles too, but we'll get there!

My legs have been saying very similat things lately. Way to get through 4 miles!

Marlene said...

Looks like a great month and congrats on that treadmill run... nothing like going longer than you thought you would!

J said...

Well done for February! That month went by so fast! I have been slacking on my swimming too but I needed a break from it. The next time I know I will be sucking wind...err water I guess while I try to swim more than one lap at a time! i seem to really only enjoy swimming in the summer (plus the pool is 50 meters instead of 25 yards)

teacherwoman said...

You know, I have found that moving my legs, whether it's bike or running, the day after a long run or heavy lift session is a nice way to loosen up those muscles! Way to go!

And your stats look great!

AM! said...

I feel March will be the month many peeps will be back in that pool. ;-)
i want spring already!

Carolina John said...

you better get back in that pool!