Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Speedy cars lead me to recapture the running bug

It all started with a test drive.

A local auto dealership was holding a charity event last weekend. Go to the lot, get your pink wristband and you were free. Free to drive any vehicle from a fleet of over 50 imported vehicles - BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus, Mazda, Audi, Acura - on an 11-mile route. And for every mile that was driven, that auto dealer was going to donate $1 to breast cancer research.

It's something that has affected my family.

So I drove. Started off behind the wheel of a VW Jetta Wagon. Moved on to a Mazda SUV and then took a ride in a Lexus sedan. But the best one? This sporty, swanky 2-door Acura RL. You put your foot on the gas and you just go. Pick up. Amazing. So cool.

And of course a car I'll never be able to afford.

But it driving it was for a good cause. Not only breast cancer research, but also in some weird way, for me. Gave me back a taste of speed and a tasty of feeling the wind in my hair (because yes, I had the windows down and the moon roof wide open).

I got home Saturday night and I ran. Yes, it was on the treadmill in my parents' basement and it was at 8:30 at night. But I ran 3.1 miles. And it felt good. No wind in my hair, but I felt it Sunday when I jumped on my bike for a nice 17.25 mile ride which featured a nice mix of hills and flat roads. It was good. I liked it.

And when I saw rain in the forecast today? I thought ahead and packed the gym bag that's been sitting on my bedroom floor most of the summer. Took out the swimming gear and packed the running shoes and shorts.

When I got done with work and it was still sprinkling? I headed over to the YMCA and grabbed a treadmill. And ran. When I got kicked off after 31 minutes - really don't like the 30-minute time limit when you're in a running groove, a rarity on a treadmill - I didn't just pack it up and go home.

Nope. I found another treadmill and kept running. It took me two treadmills and almost 43 minutes, but I cranked out 4 miles. And it felt so good. Really got in a groove, with each mile faster than the previous. And the last mile? Yeah, logged that one at 10 minutes, which is super speedy for me.

Felt good. And it all goes back to getting to drive that swanky, speedy Acura.

No comments: